With Windows 8 rumoured to go RTM near mid-year, and released before year end, I thought I would hazard a few predictions about its acceptance/adoption:
- Apple users will hate it. Why? Because it is not from Apple, and nothing cool can from from anyone but Apple.
- Linux users will hate it. Why? Because it is from Microsoft, and Microsoft is the root of all that is evil in the universe. Oh, and it has a GUI.
- Android users will hate it. Again, because it comes from Microsoft.
- Many Microsoft fans will love it, but will be afraid to admit it in front of their “cool” Apple and Android friends.
- Microsoft Marketing will fail. I hope this is not the case, but the last half dozen years or so leads me to believe that Microsoft cannot communicate with consumers (except XBox consumers, and gamers are a little different anyway)
- Other than on a tablet or other touch device, no one will upgrade to Windows 8 until they absolutely have to (unless I am wrong and Microsoft marketing hits it out of the park).
I don’t think these are particularly high risk predictions!